Even so, each new school year has some newness involved. Our classroom got a lovely new carpet this summer, along with a brand new HVAC system. Everything is clean and in order in room 211 (a condition that is highly unlikely to exist for long!).
the GT cuties geared up for the year ahead by accomplishing important tasks like:
- Organizing their iPad's GT folder: Students organized apps they already had on their iPad. They put all GT apps together in one convenient folder. Next, they added 5-10 new apps to the folder. They began exploring the new apps a bit this week.
- Designing a plate for our door contraption: Everyone loves our groovy door activated pulley machine that causes a paper plate to rise and fall whenever the door is opened. The GT cuties each designed and decorated a plate for use on the contraption throughout the year.
- Organizing and cleaning out their GT binder: The GT cuties love their binders! They spent some time this week cleaning out and organizing these important folders. Even the binders get a fresh start to the new year :-)
- Critical Thinking Games Review: We play a lot of games in GT! We know that playing games boosts brain power, increases interpersonal relationships, and teaches important lessons about sportsmanship. In our class, we use games to help us warm up our brains and get ready to learn. The games we use are: checkers, chess, mancala, and SET. We have been reviewing how to play these games during class this week.
- 5th Day Free Time Guidelines: All of the GT cuties value their free time. They earn free time every 5th day of class. In order to participate they must agree to follow the guidelines. This week the cuties and I reviewed these guidelines. Then, they signed their names to it and enjoyed their first 5th day Free Time of the year. Here are the guidelines:
- 5th Day Free Time Guidelines
- Students participate in FFT after doing quality work in their journals.
- Students will try a variety of activities during FFT – you may not do the same activity that you did last time.
- Please include others who want to join in on your activity.
- Whatever you choose to use is your responsibility to clean up.
- You must clean up with care and effort.
- You must clean up the first time you are asked.
- FFT is a time for you to be creative, socialize with your GT friends, play board games, build things, discuss ideas, etc..
- No technology of any kind will be used during FFT.
- Students who leave a mess behind will sit out half of the next week’s FFT.
- Students who show a lack of Self Discipline and/or Respect during class will not earn FFT.
- Whatever you make during 5th Day Free Time you must bring home that same day. You must make things that are no larger than 1 ft. x 1 ft. x 1 ft.